Here we are again…with Velveeta.
I keep trying to make a great macaroni and cheese with it, but I keep coming up short. Perhaps it is just me. I think it must be just me, especially when I see how very many of you mac & cheese lovers go nuts over Velveeta. I was craving something with a Southwestern taste, and I happened across this recipe from Betty Crocker. Figuring that it was high time for me to get back on the Velveeta horse, so to speak, I grabbed my ingredients.
What drew me to this recipe, other than the Velveeta, was the quick and easy prep. It’s essentially five ingredients: pasta, milk, tomatoes, jalapenos, and Velveeta. Simple!
First, prep your ingredients. For me, this just meant finely chopping my tomatoes and jalapeno and cubing the Velveeta.
Add pasta, tomatoes, jalapeno and milk to a large skillet and stir to combine. Heat until the mixture is boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is cooked. Add chili powder, salt and pepper and stir.
Add your Velveeta…
…and stir until melted.
That’s it! Quick and easy, with a nice hit of Southwestern flavor.
My verdict? Three elbows up. I am still searching for the perfect Velveeta-based mac & cheese recipe, but we’re making progress!
Here is my recipe, inspired by Betty Crocker.
- 8 ounces dried pasta
- 1½ cups fat-free milk
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds & membrane removed, finely chopped
- 8 ounces Velveeta, cubed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- Put pasta, tomatoes, jalapeno and milk into a large skillet and stir to combine. Heat until mixture is boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is cooked. Add chili powder, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add Velveeta and stir until melted.
- Serve and scarf down immediately!
Latest posts by Mac & Cheese Chick (see all)
- Field Trip! The One & Only Mac & Cheese Burger at Henry’s Tavern in Seattle - September 17, 2015
- Jambalaya Mac & Cheese with Crawfish & Andouille – Two Ways - February 4, 2015
- Gluten-Free Hardcore Blue-Cheese Lovers Mac & Cheese – Proceed at your own risk! - February 3, 2015