Quick and healthy!
Why is it so very hard to find recipes that satisfy both of these requirements?
I tend to start my day with Stonyfield organic Greek yogurt. Generally, I’ll just stir in some fresh preserves and call it breakfast, but occasionally I tire of eating the same thing each day. Casting about my kitchen, I looked in the pantry and fridge for another option that would provide a good amount of protein but wouldn’t take too long to fix.
If you read my blog or social media posts on a regular basis, you know that I am totally down with mac and cheese for breakfast. That said, the light bulb went off over my head as I stood in my kitchen, pondering. Greek yogurt mac and cheese for breakfast? Why not?
Four ingredients. No, your eyes are not deceiving you. I already had some cooked pasta in the fridge, so that shaved ten minutes off my prep time. In the interest of time (and my stomach growling), I grabbed some Tillamook shredded Sharp Cheddar.
If you’re making this with dried pasta, cook your pasta per package directions and drain, then set aside. If you’re like me and you already have cooked pasta in the fridge, just reheat your pasta in a microwave-safe bowl for one minute, then set aside.
In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, combine your Greek yogurt and cheese. Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until the cheese is melted and the mixture stirs together nicely. For me, this took about two minutes.
Add the garlic powder, and stir once again. If the consistency is good, add the pasta and stir to combine, then plate and enjoy! For me, I found that the consistency was a little thick, but I like it that way. If you want to thin the sauce slightly, you can stir in a quarter-cup of fat-free milk or water.
And if you’re feeling really fancy, you can sprinkle some fresh snipped chives on top before serving.
How was it? Three elbows up. It could still use some tweaking, but considering how fast and easily it came together, it’s a keeper! It took me a bite or two to get over the Greek yogurt texture, but then I gave myself over to the experience and the creaminess of the Cheddar cheese helped to bring me around to the fact that this, while quick, easy and healthy, was a really good mac and cheese.
Here is my recipe.
- 2 cups cooked pasta
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- For dried pasta: cook your pasta per package directions and drain, then set aside. For cooked pasta: reheat in a microwave-safe bowl for one minute, then set aside.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, combine Greek yogurt and cheese. Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until cheese is melted (about two minutes).
- Add garlic powder and stir. If the consistency is good, add pasta and stir to combine. I found the consistency a little thick, but I like it that way. If you want to thin the sauce slightly, stir in a quarter-cup of fat-free milk or water.
- Serve and scarf down immediately!
Give it a try!
Latest posts by Mac & Cheese Chick (see all)
- Field Trip! The One & Only Mac & Cheese Burger at Henry’s Tavern in Seattle - September 17, 2015
- Jambalaya Mac & Cheese with Crawfish & Andouille – Two Ways - February 4, 2015
- Gluten-Free Hardcore Blue-Cheese Lovers Mac & Cheese – Proceed at your own risk! - February 3, 2015