Sometimes you want it quick and dirty.
Your macaroni and cheese, I mean.
But if you have Celiac disease, or are on a gluten-free regimen for another reason, this can be especially difficult. Enter Gluten-Free Velveeta Mac & Cheese. It captures the essence of a quick and dirty mac and cheese (no oven time, here, no sir!) but stays within the parameters of a gluten-free life.
I used Tinkyada Brown Rice Spirals for this recipe because I like the way the pasta holds its shape and the flavor is great, too. To keep the Velveeta from being overly bland, I added a dash of Crystal Hot Sauce and it livened up the mac & cheese perfectly.
To begin, cook your pasta according to the package directions. Drain, then set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, cut the Velveeta, fat-free cream cheese and butter into chunks.
Using the same large pot in which you cooked the pasta, add the Velveeta, cream cheese, butter, milk and hot sauce.
Cook over low heat, stirring regularly, until the cheeses are melted and the mixture is smooth.
Add the pasta to the sauce and give everything a good stir to combine.
That’s it! Now it is time to enjoy your gluten-free Velveeta mac and cheese!
My thoughts? Three hearty elbows up (well, perhaps 3 and a half…) – the Velveeta made the whole thing velvety and smooth, and the hot sauce gave it just enough kick to take it from bland to interesting. The pasta texture was chewy and wonderful; it held up just fine with all my stirring, woo hoo!
Here is my recipe.
- 8 ounces gluten-free pasta (I used Tinkyada spirals)
- 8 ounces Velveeta
- 2 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon Crystal hot sauce
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain, then set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, cut the Velveeta, fat-free cream cheese and butter into chunks.
- Using the same large pot in which you cooked the pasta, add Velveeta, cream cheese, butter, milk and hot sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring regularly, until cheeses are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add pasta to sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve and scarf down immediately!
Latest posts by Mac & Cheese Chick (see all)
- Field Trip! The One & Only Mac & Cheese Burger at Henry’s Tavern in Seattle - September 17, 2015
- Jambalaya Mac & Cheese with Crawfish & Andouille – Two Ways - February 4, 2015
- Gluten-Free Hardcore Blue-Cheese Lovers Mac & Cheese – Proceed at your own risk! - February 3, 2015